Friday, January 6, 2017

Yuri on Ice review

Gay men figure skating.

"After suffering a crushing defeat during the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and other failed showings at other skating competitions, Yuri Katsuki develops mixed feelings about ice skating and puts his career on hiatus, going to college in Detroit and later returning to his hometown of Hasetsu in Kyushu. He visits his childhood friend Yuko at an ice rink known as "Ice Castle Hasetsu" and perfectly mimics an advanced skating routine performed by famous Russian figure skater Victor Nikiforov, who is Yuri's idol. When secretly recorded footage of Yuri's performance is uploaded to the internet, it catches the attention of Victor, who travels to Kyushu and offers to coach Yuri and restart his figure skating career. Together with Victor, Yuri aims to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series as he battles against his rival, Yuri Plisetsky, a 15-year-old rising star skater from Russia." -Summary

Naturally, I was completely unaware of the latest anime that was going on about in the year 2016. I never heard of an anime called 'Yuri on Ice'. I assumed that it was an anime of women ice skating, most likely figure skating. I was completely wrong. It was about men's figure skating. From their flexible bodies to their slim builds, I was pretty sure that time that everyone in that anime was gay.

I didn't get pretty inclined to it. In the previous post I did say some things to myself to think negatively about the sport. It's because I can't go to an ice skating rink that is several cities away from home just for training or practices. I just got into the story which was getting pretty interesting until the end. Unsurprisingly, it became a romance story between Katsuki Yuri and Victor Nikiforov by the end of the series. A second season hasn't been announced so the first season is pretty short with only twelve episodes.

Last year, Yuri on Ice did get popular within the female population and I know a few male viewers as well. The opening was really catchy and grasped the theme of the anime well. The song is pretty catchy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment