Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Birthday Wake

Happy Birthday To Me

Oh birthdays, the celebration of the day of your birth. We used to shower in presents from our parents, our aunts and uncles, our godmothers and godfathers. It was heavenly back then. Let's take a look at the present. Are you still receiving gifts? Do you still have someone to celebrate your birthday with? Did people greet you on your birthday? Well at least you have those. This year, I didn't get any.

It was quite ironic that my birthday lands on 'Buwan ng Wika', a month where we celebrate our language and culture, when I can't speak our language fluently. I was raised in an english speaking environment and grew up knowing english only. Now in Buwan ng Wika, our school holds programs and events every year on a special date. Although, all these stuff had to happen on the 26th friday, which was my birthday. I didn't mind it, it was cool. This way, no one would have to greet me with annoying 'happy birthdays' then ask if I'm ever going to hold a party. I know they're just greeting for the food.

I wasn't in a bad mood then. We had finished our dance performance and my mom came early. We asked permission from the head of the highschool facility and went on our way home. I had already prepared myself for relaxation and quietness. But that dream was easily shattered when my mom said that we'll be attending my uncle's wake for the fourth time. This instantaneously brought my mood down. I have nothing to do in my uncle's wake. I would draw in a corner or read or write fanfictions. There wasn't any internet at my church so I can't chat with my friends either.

What's more is that my family is busy. Sure they greeted my a happy birthday, but that day didn't even felt like a birthday anymore. It was such an uneventful day. Quite depressing isn't it? I can't exactly blame my uncle either because he died on the 22nd, monday. It was my first time experiencing a lame birthday that made me want to regret ever being born.

No comments:

Post a Comment