Friday, August 5, 2016

Volleyball (Feat. Haikyuu!!)

Wow, I've been getting into sports recently. 

Main characters for the anime
I've played volleyball longer than basketball. It was our P.E class so I couldn't refuse. It was the first ball sport I play decent in, so I guess I liked it. I just didn't like how my arms would hurt the next day and how it would affect my handwriting and drawings. I was okay in receiving, bad at blocking and even worse in spiking. the only thing I found enjoyable was serving. The feeling of the ball launching from your hand from the underhand serve. The feeling of accomplishment every time the ball would get into the other side of the net. I loved it all.

After our P.E changed I didn't engage much in volleyball until recently. My friends have been bugging me to watch the anime Haikyuu!! for a while. I decided to watch it, after horribly realizing my mistake of watching Tokyo Ghoul, and I loved it. Now don't get me wrong, Tokyo Ghoul is a very popular anime. The problem for me is the first episode. I didn't feel like I was in the anime. It felt like I was a by stander just watching a crazy lady forcefully feed a poor looking ugly boy. Seriously can't this anime make more sense?! it's only the first two episodes! Moving on...

Karasuno High School Volleyball players
Haikyuu was just the medicine to cure my cringe. It had the one element I was looking for. Passion. Tokyo Ghoul may have some passion sooner or later in the story but what I like about sport anime more is because they have had that passion for a long time. I loved Hinata's way of describing how he spikes. "I want to see the view on the other side" and for that to happen he has to "Get past this wall" which is spiking the ball through the opponent's block. When spiking, they would have to jump higher than usual. this gives them a chance for them to actually view the other side of the court.

Why is Hinata so obsessed in seeing past the wall? We'll never know. This is what amplifies his passion for volleyball. Our ginger haired spiker instantly stole my heart in the first episode. I was simply entranced by the anime and it's story over all. I can't say much now since I have't finished it all yet. But for now, this is all what I could say.

I've thought about it and now, I've reached a conclusion. I like serving the ball to the other court, it's sending a message to the other side. Like "How's things going over there?" "You must get this ball back here" Especially when the opponents hit the ball I've sent, it was very refreshing. Like "Here's the ball" "nice message" or maybe even "we won't lose to this!" it gives me confidence to stand off the court and give an underhand pass to the opponents (because seriously, I can't do overhead serves). Serving is the only half-decent thing I can do in volleyball, and I guess I should take pride for what little things I can do outside my forte.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture found here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment