Friday, July 15, 2016

Basketball (feat. Kuroko no Basuke)

Where It All Started...

Kuroko no Basuke (Kuroko's Basketball)
Kuroko no Basuke, also known as The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays, is one of the first (and only) sport anime that I've watched. At first, my impression of them was just a bunch of rainbow characters who knows how to shoot a ball into a hoop. Once I began watching it during Summer vacation of 2015, this anime completely turned my point of view of basketball upside down.

I used to think that Basketball is just some ridiculous sport that needs a lot of players on court to shoot the ball into the hoop. In a sense, it is what I just described it. Now my thoughts of basketball is completely different from then. You can say that I saw the excitement and passion of the sport in this anime. I never thought that in my life would I ever appreciate basketball. Sure I've heard this anime around, people say it's good and all but I don't see myself as a sports person. First of all, I was confined at home, not allowed to even step down from the stairs of my grandmother's house. I grew up as an introvert.

Second, I was no longer permitted to play any rough sports by the time I got my glasses (which was grade 2). I never appreciated sports then. Looking back, I was never really interested in Volleyball or Basketball (a little bit on badminton though) or any sports that require too much physical attention. You could say I was so negative about sports. All until I watched this anime. Kuroko no Basuke revolves around Kuroko Tetsuya. I grew more and more interested as each personality of every character. It was the story line and the personality that dragged me into this anime. Kuroko is only known to be a 'shadow'. Only supporting stronger players.

Generation of Miracles during their Middle School Years
There was this known 'Generation of Miracles' in Japan that has said to be the best generation of athletes. The story shows us the famed 'Generation of Miracles' as basketball players. Akashi Seijuuro, known to be the captain and point guard. He's shown to be strict but understanding to his fellow team mates. Murasakibara Atsushi, standing at 6''1 in middle school, he's known to be the best center there is. Atsushi has a lazy and uncaring personality, almost like a child with major sweet tooth. Midorima Shintaro, shooting guard and horoscope maniac. Shintaro has a strange habit of taping his fingers and completely devotes himself in daily horoscopes. Aomine Daiki, he's best at almost any position but his forte is being a power forward. He's also known as the ace of Teiko middle school basketball team. Aomine is the passionate person within the bunch. He loves basketball so much that he's gotten too good at it with his 'street-style'. Kise Ryouta, small forward and a very goofy guy. He becomes a model on his first year of high school.

Last but not least, Kuroko Tetsuya. Known as Aomine's 'shadow' in the anime. The real story starts when the team slowly changes where everyone's mindset was that victory was everything. Because of that, everyone slowly began changing for the worse. Kuroko couldn't do anything but watch everyone's passion of basketball vanish. In their first year of high school, Kuroko wants to prove to his former team members that winning isn't always about everything. He succeeds in the final season and wins the Winter Cup league. This anime dragged me through thick and thin, I was completely inspired and was even motivated to play basketball, a sport that I never imagined that I would play.

In the end I will always be like a 'shadow'. No matter how hard I try or want to improve, my eyesight will only be a hindrance to the sport I became passionate about. To conclude, I came to appreciate the sport so much that I decided to try it a bit myself. I don't intend to join in any major games or play with others. In fact, I prefer to play alone or with my close friends. My close friends have been trying to get to to play sports and I guess I finally gave in. I don't mind though, I just want to try the things that I've been missing out my entire life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
first picture found at: The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays
second picture: Kuroko's Basketball
more information at: Kuroko no Basuke

No comments:

Post a Comment